Thursday, December 30, 2010

Congratulations Grandmother

Brooklyn Follies Paul Auster

Nathan Glass is a retired insurance company on bad terms with his ex-wife and daughter. After a heavy surgery and without a long lease of life, decides to end his days in Brooklyn, the neighborhood where he was born. Here you find his nephew Tom, now grayed library clerk, Lucy, the daughter of the sister of Tom, and, while traveling to Vermont, even the love of his life ... All four returned to Brooklyn and things go well, until it reaches a fateful September 11 ...

After reading "Moon Palace" I was almost convinced not to read anything by this author, so I was bored and disappointed that novel (or rather, the first part was fantastic and terrible in the second).
But then a friend of mine told me about this, describing it as a masterpiece, and, since we have very similar tastes, I've made prestare.E I did just fine. A simply wonderful book.
Characters are all incredible. From Nathan, our narrator, who moves to Brooklyn to die in peace and that he finds his nephew Tom, and a whole host of other great characters (the bookseller-forger Harry Brightman, little Lucy, and Mrs. Joyce daughter) whose lives intersect with his, animate and more worth living. Meanwhile, bring forward his plan to write a novel that encompasses all the follies that ordinary people do every day, and that are common to all the others.
A brilliant book, narrated in an exemplary way (good idea to anticipate some element then saying "but we'll talk about later), which commends individuals and is most common understand that even those that seem better than others, they are actually fragile, like everyone else.
Wonderful ending!
be read completely!

Note to the translation: compliments to the translator, who has managed to juggle so egregious of all the double meanings of the words, without adding too much of the Italian version. Well done!

"Are you quite sure about you, damn you"
"I have to be, Tom. If I were not I would not be here. I would have my bags in the car waiting for me. I do not know that you're ' man of my life. "

"People felt as I do. Who am I to say that they are wrong? "

" Never underestimate the power of books "

0 comments:

Post a Comment